Gilberton is a city in Queensland. So far we have accumulated 6 streets in Gilberton and on these streets we have added 34 real estate properties.
- Self-governing territories
Gilberton is a suburb of Adelaide, South Australia on the northern bank of the River Torrens a short distance from Adelaide’s city centre. It is bounded by the river, Park terrace, Stephen Terrace and Northcote Terrace. The suburb is largely residential with some large and ornate Victorian homes and approximately 2 kilometres (1 mi) of the Torrens Linear Park as its southern boundary. The large homes in the suburb's northern section give it a historic character that is protected by Government planning regulations. The area of Gilberton was first purchased in 1839 by a Richard Blundell as "Section 475" of the survey of Adelaide. Blundell, who lived in England, was declared bankrupt later that year and the section subsequently sold by his creditors. Joseph Gilbert of Pewsey Vale England purchased the 134 acres (54.2 ha) section for £600.5s in 1846, naming it "Gilbert Town" and dividing into 43 lots for sale or lease in 1852. Early activities in the area included a brickworks, farms and gardens and an abattoir. By 1847 the southern part of the town was planned, the plan completed by 1871 and extensive housing completed by the 1890s. The suburb is largely flat from the river north to Walkerville Terrace, then slopes upwards to its northern extent. Due to the elevation of, and subsequent views from, the northern section this land attracted wealthier purchasers. Some of their ornate Victorian homes, sited on large grounds, remain today. At a large bend in the River, the location of the today’s St Peters river park, gravel extraction, sand washing and a rubbish dumping have all been commercial activities. Sand washing was replaced by a dump in 1961, leading to complaints from the neighbouring suburb of St Peters about fumes from the burning rubbish. After the land was purchased by St Peters the bend was straightened and the dump reclaimed.